As the age old saying goes “hard work pays” sometimes it’s the other way around, it’s smart work that pays. Working hard is not a bad thing just that sometimes working smart is the better way to go. Working hard turns into a habit real fast and before you know it you are either working late, working from home or even working on weekends. The key to working smart and being more productive at your job is plenty of sleep, exercise, and recreation. Below are a few points that will help you avoid this trap.
- Breaks: During the long work hours that we go through every day, breaks play a very important role. Without us even knowing breaks makes us more productive and efficient at our work. The human brain can focus on one thing for 90 minutes at one go, so it’s advised that one should take small breaks every 90 minutes so one can focus better.
- Naps: Who does not like taking naps, but did you know that taking naps helps you work smarter. There are researches that prove taking naps helps your cognitive function, creative thinking, and memory performance. Naps help you solidify memories as it pushes memories to the brain’s more permanent storage.
- Nature: Spending time in nature not only allows you to relax your mind also helps you reset your attention span. Taking a walk in the park and spending time being one with nature is sure to make your focus last longer when you return to work. This is a quick way for you you relax your brain and get focused on your next task.
- Work in blocks: This process needs you to first create a to-do list, once that is done you know how much work you need to get done within the day. Having a plan of what you need to get done at a particular location or with a particular team helps out a lot.
- Email: One of the most important part of being on the same page as your team is checking your email. Make sure that you are always updated with your email because you don’t want to miss a thing especially if you are working with a remote team.
At the end of the day you need to be more productive. So focus on working smart rather than working hard to get to where you want to be.